METAL

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A mistake I made by gaming late


Today was one of my most tiring days at school, not because of the subjects but what happened the previous night. This is how my sorry tale unfolds..
On Tuesday, after a long and strenuous day of soccer training, I came home, expecting to relax and play on my Xbox 360. But unfortunately, I was forced (by my parents of course) to finish up my homework and then to retire for the night after that. It was of course the sensible thing to do but, as usual, I was too myopic to see that.
So I sat down diligently after a hearty meal of home-made stuffed crust pizza and garlic bread to did my homework, without giving my parents any hint of the nefarious plan I was hatching of what to do afterwards. Upon completion of the mountain of Math and English homework that I had, it was already about 11.00PM. I pretended to ascend the staircase to my room but the actual fact was that I crouched at the top of the stairs, and waited silently while peering through the railings of the banisters. When my parents finally turned in for the night, I crept down stealthily, turned on the television, inserted my Modern Warfare 2 disc and began playing. Fortunately, one of my friends was also online and we gamed together until about 2.30AM when I heard the jingling of a key in the lock downstairs. This announced the return of my brother from his National Service duties. In a flash, to avoid any ugly confrontation with him, I switched off all the electronic equipment and dashed up to my room where I closed my eyes tight and feigned sleep. He was probably too tired to detect anything amiss; either that or my acting skills were quite commendable. Anyway, I must have fallen into a deep sleep soon after.
The next day, I paid a heavy price for my nocturnal activities: I was a walking wreck, a zombie, at school; groggily I shuffled from class to class, a heavy hammer pounding relentlessly in my head as I attempted to complete my work while taking the occasional catnap whenever I could in class as the teacher was explaining certain Science concepts. Fortunately, he very kindly gave us the permission to take a 20minute nap which I fully utilized and slept throughout. I had never felt more appreciative of a teacher before!
I read somewhere that the man who makes no mistakes makes very little else; that we have to make mistakes to learn and improve. I certainly learnt that it was wrong to stay up so late for such a frivolous activity as gaming. It did me no good the next day. I was fortunate I did not have soccer training again or else I would have been done for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Its all bout' me!

A simple man with life's simple pleasures.